Friday, September 3, 2010

A "penny" for your thoughts...

(I know, I know... how many people have this title for their blogs?? A ton, but I think mine is just as valid.)

I buckle my kids up after a TJ MAX fix and head home. As I approach the red light, I notice a lot of traffic, as always. My thoughts as I am coming to a stop were, of all the things that I wished I could have, all the camera equipment I wanted to buy, and all the 'stuff' that could make me happy. In the midst of these thoughts, I look over to see a man running through the traffic, trying to reach the other side. He was a scruffy man. Tallish, probably in his late forties. His hair was scraggly and gray, and his red tee and jeans looked like they hadn't been washed in weeks. He stopped dead in his tracks, right in the middle the intersection, and picked up a coin off the road. He dashed the rest of the way across the street, and jumped the curb as if in a hurry. Just as the light turned green, he plopped himself down on the the light pole electricity box. Of course, the whole time I watched.. and those of you who know me, know I am an a analyzer.  Oh and you better believe I analyzed the entire situation. As soon as he sat down, the man reached in his dingy jean pocket, pulled out the rest of his coins, and proceeded to count them. By that time, I was off. I quickly realized what a wonderful life I am living. I turned my toxic thoughts of what I "wished" I had, into thinking about everything in my life I am thankful for! Especially, since I had just enjoyed a great lunch with my kids and our besties, and a nice day of shopping afterward. You see--Sometimes we take for granted what we have been given in life, and I am the first to admit. But today, I learned to thank my lucky starts because while I was driving HOME, I watched a man who was most likely homeLESS, without a penny to his name, count his change....and I was counting MY BLESSINGS!!!! Money doesn't buy love or happiness, but for that man, maybe the one coin he stopped in his tracks to pick up... in all the traffic, helped him buy his next meal. I love my family, and LIFE IS GOOD!!! Remember: Live, Laugh, Love and ALWAYS be YOU!! Cheers!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment